Sunday, July 11, 2010

Introduction

Post -> Introduction
by Janet Kelly - Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 11:04 PM

Greetings! My name is Janet Kelly and I am just starting the Masters in Education Information Technology program. I am also working on getting my Educational Media/Library Science endorsement. I am currently not teaching. However, I do have a K-8 teaching degree from Washington state. It has been several years since I have taken any technology classes, so my goal is to get up to date on the new technologies that are now available to us. When I taught, I used the internet to help me expand on my lessons. One strength that I have is my willingness to learn more about the internet and how I can use it to teach kindergartners


Post -> Introduction -> Re: Introduction
by Janet Kelly - Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 11:37 PM

Carolyn- I am curious how you use the internet with your 5th graders. Do you guide them through it or just let them work on their own?

Post -> Intro -> Re: Intro
by Janet Kelly - Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 11:40 PM

I taught kindergarten for two years and absolutely loved it! Do you have any ideas on how to use the internet with such young students?

Post -> Intro to Me -> Re: Intro to Me
by Janet Kelly - Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 07:14 PM

Jen- How would you like to use the internet with your young students? By the way, are you also taking Mary's class in the morning?

Post -> intro -> Re: intro
by Janet Kelly - Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 07:17 PM

Do you have any particular websites that you have found to be very useful to teachers?

Post -> Introduction -> Re: Introduction
by Janet Kelly - Friday, June 25, 2010, 05:55 AM

Hi Ryan,
Why do you think librarians are treated so badly here? Do people just not see the value of having librarians in the schools? What made the difference in Bellingham? Thanks for the encouragement! I am looking forward to becoming a librarian.
Janet


Re: Introduction
by Ryan Harrington - Thursday, June 24, 2010, 08:12 PM

Hi Janet,I am a librarian at Oaklea Middle School in Junction City. I think it is great you are working toward the endorsement. Unfortunatly, Oregon isn't very kind to librarians. I managed to keep my job for the past two years, but it hasn't been that way for a lot of us. I used to live in Washington (Bellingham) and they valued librarians a whole lot more. It is a great job, though, and I wouldn't trade it.Good luck!Ryan

Re: Hi Carolyn! I am curious how you ...
To: Janet Kelly
Cc:
Bcc:
Date: 06/27/10 09:18 PM
From: Carolyn Pitt
When I first started working with it, I would let the kids work with searches and see what they could come up with. The searches were not structured enough for my boss so I changed in a hurry.
Now I often give them some websites that I have checked. But when a question comes up they may go look up information with the understanding if anything inappropriate pops up the monitor is turned off and I am notified. That way I can see what they deem as inappropriate. We used to get some strange pop ups but the district filters are much better now.
Usually when there is a question I help them decide what to search for and when they open one of the first three sites, it is ok.
When I do projects, I give them some websites to use. That saves time and the websites are checked.
I hope I am not repeating myself. I can't remember if I answered this already.
Carolyn
On 6/22/10, Janet Kelly wrote:
Hi Carolyn! I am curious how you use the internet with your 5th graders. Do you guide them through it or just let them work on their own?
This email is a copy of a message sent to you at "WOU Online"

No comments:

Post a Comment