Sunday, July 11, 2010

Introduction/Standards Comparison

Introduction
My name is Janet Kelly and I am a student in the Masters of Science in Education Information Technology program. I am also working on my Educational Media/Library Science endorsement. This is my first semester in both of these programs. I am also working on getting my Oregon teaching license. I received a Bachelor of Science in Social Sciences degree from Western Oregon State College in 1991.
I started volunteering in schools when my daughter was in preschool. As a volunteer, I worked with students in their classrooms, did classroom preparations for teachers, and helped with field trips. I helped coach soccer, basketball, volleyball, and cheerleading after school. I also helped with Girl Scouts, the Parent Teacher Association, and the Women in Science and Engineering program. I volunteered for eight years.
My first official job in a school was as a Special Education teacher assistant. During this time, I also did substitute teaching in preschool through sixth grade. I quit this job and moved to Washington State to get my teaching license. I have a Kindergarten through eighth grade teaching license. I did my student teaching in a first grade class. I have taught kindergarten and English Language Learners. I loved teaching kindergarten!
I have not worked for the last four years because I have been a personal caregiver for my parents. I am now ready to be working in a school again. I recently got a job as a Food Service Assistant in a high school. I am very happy to be back working in a school. However, I would like to be in a different position. I would like to be a librarian in an elementary school. I love books and think that I would make a good librarian.
 
 
 
 
Standards Comparison
I compared the National Educational Technology Standards for Students released in 2007 with the Oregon Educational Technology Standards released in December 2008.
I general, I found both standards to be very similar. In fact, the wording in both of them is exactly the same in most places. All of the Oregon standards are listed in the National standards.
The main difference is that they use different wording in some places and the National standards break down the student objectives more. Consequently, it gives more details as to what is expected of the students.
I was surprised to learn how much technology is being integrated into schools. I was especially amazed at how much technology students need to learn and be able to use efficiently. I am glad that this is happening. At my last school I never heard any one talk about standards or what we should be teaching our students, as far as technology goes. In fact, when I took my students to the computer lab it was up to me to find ways for them to use the computers. This was very hard because the district only bought two programs for kindergartners and they were going to get rid of one of them.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment